Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Ground

I love the ground whereon he stands
The ground beneath those shoes that
Walk. Walk him along to work, party,
To beds and beds and beds.

I love the ground whereon he stands.
His love is hard just like it, buoys up
Heads and shoulders, hips, hips,
Thighs and shins just like it.

I love the ground whereon he stands
Each pavement crack a fingerprint whorl
The mark of something past, something
Painful, man-making and man-made.

I love the ground whereon he stands
And his shadow whose belly hovers
Along it with promise of some great
Union between ground and him-

Written by nature and far off down
Past years of cigarette butts and
walking in those shoes to the beat of a
hot heart. I love the ground whereon he

Stands, because silently
It touches him, and me.
Because it owns us both.
Because in those measured
Squares named and unnamed
It is his.

No comments: